At West Rainton Primary School the experience we offer is far more than the development of academic skills. Just as rich and engaging is our SMSC (spiritual, moral, social and cultural) provision.
We aim for our children to develop:
- A set of principles, values and beliefs which inform their perspective on life
- Empathy, awareness and respect for themselves and others
- The ability to know right from wrong and the confidence to act in accordance with their own principles
- The ability to make responsible judgements on moral dilemmas
- An understanding of their rights and responsibilities of individuals within the wider community
- An understanding of how societies function and their part within that
- An understanding of the influences which have shaped their own cultural heritage
- A willingness to participate in and respond to artistic and cultural activities
- An appreciation of the diversity of cultures and to accord dignity to other people’s beliefs and values
This is achieved through:
- Providing pupils with opportunities to explore values and beliefs
- Developing an ethos within which all pupils can grow
- Providing a clear moral code and promoting equality
- Encouraging pupils to take responsibility for their actions
- Idenitifying key values and principles on which the school and community are based
- Encouraging pupils to work co-operatively and to recognise and respect social differences
- Extending pupils’ cultural awareness by providing opportunities for them to explore their own assumptions and values
- Recognising and nurturing particular gift and talents
Our children tell us how much they greatly appreciate the experiences we provide for them, enabling them to increase their cultural capital in an engaging, enriching and inclusive approach.
View Class 3’s visit Durham Cathedral to celebrate St Cuthbert’s Day.