Governors work closely with headteachers, school staff and representatives from the local authority.
What do Governors do?
The governing body is a group of people from a variety of backgrounds who are responsible for making sure that the school provides a high standard of education and experience for its pupils.
The governing body of the school commit their time voluntarily to offer both support and challenge to the headteacher in the effective running of the school and the continuous drive to always aim higher.
- As a governing body we are proud to be an integral part of shaping healthy, safe and prosperous lives and futures of the pupils of West Rainton Primary School.
- We know we provide a safe, happy and welcoming school where everyone is listened to and respected.
- We are committed to delivering the best possible learning experiences in line with the school’s key curriculum drivers of: aiming high; skills for learning and life; growing healthily; and knowledge of the world.
- We prioritise the safeguarding and wellbeing of our pupils through stringent recruitment procedures, ongoing training and regular monitoring.
- We champion high attendance alongside our senior leaders to promote supportive policies, procedures and incentives that are unique to our context.
- We continually consider the cost of the school day to parents and carers, creating inventive ideas and making effective use of premium funding to ensure the best value for money for all pupils.
- We are a school at the heart of our local community. We strive to be an integral, positive part of society, making diverse and ambitious links to work together for success.
- We ensure that West Rainton Primary School is a happy, supportive and inclusive place to work, recognising that our staff are our most valuable resource, and that their wellbeing is key to ongoing success.
How To Become A School Governor
We welcome new ideas and expertise onto our governing body. If you require further information on the roles and responsibilities of School Governors or you are interested in becoming one, please ask in school, or visit the Durham County Council website School Governor section.
Statutory Guidance for Governing Bodies
West Rainton Primary School adhere to the statutory guidance from the Department for Education. This means that governing bodies must have regard to it when carrying out duties relating to the constitution of governing bodies in maintained schools.
For further information please view or download the full documents below.
Our Current Governing Body Committee Structure and Register of Interests
|Name||Position||Committee||Term of Office||Representing||Responsibilities||Appointing Body||Voting rights||Business Interest||Personal Interest|
|Rev Michael Beck||Chair of Full Governing Body||Staffing, |
Headteacher’s Performance Management
|Gordon Murphy||Chair of Appeals||Appeals,|
|26/11/19- 26/11/23||Co-opted||Health and Safety|
|Simon Scott||Vice Chair of FGB|
Chair of Curriculum Committee
Chair of Finance committee
|02/11/21- 01/11/25||Parent||Pupil Premium|
|Parents||Yes||No||Yes- Pupils in school|
|Neil Bennett||Chair of First Committee||First Committee|
|01/09/19- 01/09/23||Co-opted||Sport Premium|
|Helen Forster||Chair of Staffing Committee||Staffing, |
Headteacher’s Performance Management
|25/11/19- 25/11/23||Co-opted||Data Protection|
Arts and Culture
|Kirstin McGowan||Finance||01/09/19- 01/09/23||Co-opted||Attendance||Staff||Yes||No||No|
|Claire Maddox||Curriculum||04/11/21- 03/11/25||Staff||Staff||Yes||No||Yes- pupil in school|
|William Kellett||Appeals||17/06/19- 17/06/23||LA||History|
|Governors||Yes||Yes- DCC councillor||No|
Arts and Culture
|Governors||Yes||No||Yes- daughter is a staff member|
|Bernadette Wise||Curriculum ||10/03/22-09/03/26||Parent||Parents||Yes||No||Yes-pupil in school|
|A McDonough||Head Teacher||Curriculum, Staffing, |
|N/A||NA||Yes||No||Yes- husband teacher in school|
Our Current Governing Body Attendance Register
|Name||Governor briefing-covid update pre-summer 08/07/20||Autumn 2020|
|Rev. Michael Beck||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended|
|Mr Neil Bennett||attended||attended||attended||apologies- connection issue||attended||attended||attended|
|Mrs Bernadette Wise||elected as parent governor- attending from autumn 2022|
|Mrs Christine Charlton||Newly appointed- attended||apologies- holiday as meeting date was rearranged||attended||attended||apologies- personal reasons|
|Mrs Jodean Dawson||attended||attended||attended||attended||apologies- work commitments||apologies- work commitments||Resigned from GB|
|Mrs Helen Forster||attended||attended||apologies||attended||attended||apologies- work commitment due to rescheduled FGB date||attended|
|Mr William Kellett||apologies||attended||attended||attended||apologies- attending another meeting||apologies- work commitment due to rescheduled FGB date||attended|
|Mrs Claire Maddox||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended||apologies-personal reasons due to rescheduled FGB date||attended|
|Mrs Alison McDonough||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended||attended|
|Mrs Kirstin McGowan||attended||attended||apologies||attended||attended||attended||apologies- personal reasons|
|Mr Gordon Murphy||apologies||attended||attended||attended||apologies- personal reasons||attended||attended|
|Mr Simon Scott||attended||attended||attended||attended||apologies- work commitments||attended||attended|
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.